Sunday, March 29, 2009

Rachel's Story - The Monster That is Anxiety

Lately I have a hard time taking a full, complete breath.  I feel a bit like I'm suffocating much of the time.  I often wake up about an hour after I've gone to bed, panicked, overheated, sweaty and desperate for air and water.  Strangely, I feel like I'm drowning.  I've fortunately never had the terrifying experience of almost drowning before, but this is what I imagine it must be like.  I'm gasping for air,  my heart is pounding, I'm convinced I'm going to die.  It's like I can't find the surface to take a big gulp of fresh air.   At the same time I am excessively thirsty.  I run to the kitchen and pour myself a giant glass of fresh, cool water and drink it down.  At last, my heart begins to calm.  I've been experiencing lots of panic attacks over the past few weeks - no doubt these must be part of that.  They are really terrifying.  I'm learning to depend a little more on Lorazepam now and things are beginning to straighten themselves out.  It's really easy to feel alone with anxiety which is why I wanted to share my story.  You are not alone.  Please feel free to share your story too.

5 comments:

Melba11 said...

Hi Rachel
thanks for posting this.. I am having a real difficult time with panice attacks and anxiety these days.

I know that feeling of thinking I am having a heart attack and will die is the most terrifying feeling I have ever had.

I know what is behind it somewhat, still having med changes trying to manage it better.

Not up to sharing more ..

Melba

rachel said...

thanks for sharing, Melba. Good to hear from you again but sorry to hear you aren't doing too well. Just remember you're not alone.

Anonymous said...

Panic attack, yup big time I can relate. I landed in hospital couple weeks ago with all signs/symptoms, so much so they kept me at the general heart icu for a few days. Its scary, and its real and hurts like hell. Sad thing is tho, they dismiss it as "just" a panic attack, deal with it.

Melba11 said...

HI Rachel et all

panic attacks and anxiety .. boy they take alot out of you.

still struggling with some withdrawal from one of my meds then last night was at the ER for 4 hours, thought I was having a heart attack.. turned out not to be the case.

my pdoc has referred me to the anxiety clinic at the ROH. a bit nervous about this but I must say that the information on this site has been helpful

I will survive somehow.

Melba

rachel said...

Melba, I know you will survive. You are strong, I know it. I , too have been working with the ROH and it has been very helpful. I hope it will be for you as well!