Friday, March 6, 2009

Rachel's Story - Pet Therapy

I was discharged from the hospital a little more than 4 weeks ago.  The absolute best thing about being home is being with my dog every day.  As an inpatient, I missed him more than I thought possible.  There is something so calming and comforting about an animal – there’s nothing like it.  My dog radiates unconditional, non-judgmental, pure LOVE. 

 While I was in the hospital I noticed a woman with a therapy-dog.  She was visiting the Geriatric Unit.  What a wonderful idea!  I wished she had also visited the Mood and Anxiety Unit (where I was) because I love animals so much and I know it would have benefited everyone on the unit.  There’s nothing like an animal to lift people’s spirits.

 On days when I’m depressed and getting out of bed seems to require a Herculean effort, my dog really inspires me to get up and stick to a routine.  I have no choice but to get up and feed him and take him for a walk.  And, inevitably, I love walking him.  It’s one of my favorite things to do (especially when the weather is nice).  So I owe him a debt of gratitude.  I’d love to hear from others who are struggling with mental illness…how have your pets helped you?

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

Rachel. Thank you very much for sharing your story. I agree that pets are wonderful companions for people with mental illness. I have battled anxiety and depression for more than 10 years. Having a lovable pooch is such great therapy in and of itself. Since getting mine from the Humane Society in July '07 I've found my mood to be much better. Keep writing and take care. Jennifer

Anonymous said...

I too went and got myself a puppy and she's made all the difference in the world to me daily. Nothing like my pup to get me out of the house, walking, instead of staying inside and withdrawn. She's my therapy dog, and I know just how helpful my pup has helped me.

Anonymous said...

So how are you doing now? I know when I need space or get anxious about stuff I walk the dog and it gives me a few minutes of solace and it does help me alot. Hopefully you find the same thing with you.

Anonymous said...

Rachel, I would love your input at the official YouKnowWhoIam Facebook group--join at "youknowwhoiam rohcg"

Drew, Facebook Moderator

rachel said...

Definitely. Walking my dog can get me through an anxiety attack. It's just as good as a Lorazepam!!

Anne said...

Rachel,
When I was in hospital in Feb/Mar for 4weeks, I really missed my daughters dog as well. Since I have been home, I notice she is more cuddly than ever and I find that my anxiety can be lessened by taking her out for walks. I must admit that I have days that I cannot even force myself to go out, when I do walk her I feel so much better for it and I am sure she does as well. My daughter is moving out west in July. She was going to take the dog with her but has since decided to leave her with me.. which makes me very happy. I do believe in pet therapy as she is my constant companion, loves me unconditionally. I do like people, Since I suffer from PTSD and all that goes with it.. I was recently diagnosed with Agoraphobia.. so I am home more than not. My dog gets me out of the house on my good days and is helping me to overcome some of my fears. She gives me that extra push I need to get back to the living. SO not only is she my best furry friend but she is helping in my therapy.