Friday, October 17, 2008

Rachel's Story - secret exposed

I started university at the age of 17 and was really passionate about my chosen subject, theatre.  Unfortunately, though, it was at this time that what I now realize were symptoms of manic-depression (bipolar disorder) began to really emerge and intrude on my everyday life.  I complained constantly to my mom about being tired and unmotivated.  Periods of depression much like the ones I described last week continued intermittently, seemingly without a trigger.  I remember several occasions where I would be driving at night and have to pull the car over to the side of the road because I could no longer see for all the tears streaming down my face.  It felt like my emotions were out of control.

 At other times, I was angry and irritable, frustrated with nearly everything and everyone.  It seemed like no one I encountered could do anything correctly or fast enough.    Oftentimes, my patience expired and I took it out on the people I love most: my family.  Because of this, I lost my self-esteem.  I felt so guilty about the terrible way I was treating them.  I started to believe I was just a mean person, intrinsically bad.  On one occasion I remember going to my brother in tears, begging for him to forgive me for the disrespectful way I had treated him; I was panic-stricken about potentially losing my best friend.  I explained that I had lost all control, that every moment of my life these days was just so difficult, I was struggling minute by minute to exist in this world and keep from killing myself.  It was the first time I’d admitted to anyone that I was suicidal.  I was using so much energy trying to keep this to myself, not to let it show…it was a BIG secret.  I can still remember so vividly how torturous and alone that felt.  Once I admitted my suicidal feelings to my brother I developed even more guilt, this time about asking him to protect my secret…I had begged him not to tell our parents.  He encouraged me to go to them, telling me that he knew they would be supportive and would want to know.  I was still far too ashamed, though, to take that step.  My brother told me through tears that he loved more than anything in the world and that his whole existence would be devastated if I ended my life.  He said he would do anything he could to help me.  His words were enough.  They didn’t stop my suicidal feelings, but they were enough to prevent me from following through.  My mind was still rational enough at that point for this to be an obvious, valid reason to keep fighting.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rachel, again so brave and coouragous for sharing this with us, and I admire and respect you so much for this!Please NEVER GIVE UP PLEASE! As well as your family, and although you don't really know me, I DO KNOW that you are a very caring person who IS helping others to understand, and educate ALL OF US who are ALWAYS here for you, to support and help you and your family ANY WAY we can. I REALLY do mean this, anything that I can do to help you I would do in a heartbeat!! larry

Anonymous said...

thanks, Larry!

MELBA: are you around? you said you were starting therapy again this week...wanted to know how that was going.

Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel

Not doing so well.. had a car accident on Friday, have a good case of whiplash. going through some med changes on top of that.

Begin counselling tomorrow.

I'll check when I am feeling better.

Melba

Anonymous said...

sorry to hear that :(

hope you feel better soon :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel:

Well things could be better but they could be worse.

I am feeling better physically from my accident but the emotional rollercoaster continues.

I was not able to attend my full counselling session last week and have another appointment in three weeks.

It is very hard to get by at times even the next hour but somehow I have found the reserves in myself to do so. I know what is happening to me, understand the feelings and have to sit with the darkness until it is finished. It is very time consuming and I try not to lose hope.

This time round I think I have found a new way to cope.. that is to talk and be more open with the people who care. And believe it or not reading about others like yourself and Larry who have had similar issues and feelings does help.

We do have to work together to fight the broader spectrum.

Melba

Anonymous said...

hi Melba,

thanks for the update. that's wonderful that being more open is helping you so much - you've not been open until recently? i think that just being in contact with others who are willing to share the experience helps. it's so easy to feel isolated in this, isn't it? isolation is one of my favourite pursuits when i'm feeling bad but there's no doubt that it worsens things for me - i just slip further away. also, as i've mentioned, carrying around the SECRET of how badly i was feeling on the inside was such a stressful burden.