Friday, October 24, 2008

Rachel's Story - when mania takes hold...

My first manic symptoms began when I was in university (about 7 years ago), at about the same time that the depressive symptoms began to have a dangerously negative impact on my life.  I have always had much longer bouts of depression than mania.  They are equally vivid & painful to me because the mania, though fun at first, often results in a suicidal climax (don’t know if anyone else experiences this?).  I’ll do my best to describe it, but I can’t help feeling that my language skills are totally ineffectual in portraying the experience.

Sometimes it’s like a carnival in my head.  Thoughts swirl around with excessive speed and volume.  And often, even the most mundane things become hilarious to me.  I lose all self-control and nearly fall to the ground in uproarious laughter.  I write furiously, trying to capture all the “brilliant” ideas flooding my mind – especially at night.  I make long lists of things I will have to investigate…money-making schemes, art projects, areas of study, musical instruments to master, things I suddenly just HAVE to buy, etc.  Often my ideas lead me to the computer, where I conduct frantic internet searches looking for the fastest way to order a certain product (book, makeup, TRIP TO BRAZIL), which I’m spontaneously determined to have that VERY instant.  I abandon each “project”/new interest as quickly as I acquired it, swiftly moving on to the next impulsive goal.  I feel GREAT - uncharacteristically social and confident.  (This is all very embarrassing to admit from my current, depressed frame of mind….)  When I go out in public, I feel like a celebrity.  It seems like people can’t take their eyes off of me.  Like everyone secretly wishes they could be like me.  I’m suddenly convinced that I’m excessively talented, attractive and intelligent and that all of these special characteristics were given to help me achieve some greater purpose.  Almost like I could save the world.  I feel like God has a direct line to me and I’m on a special mission.  (I have so much shame in admitting this but I’m thinking maybe others have had this experience too?)  At a certain point, though, it all becomes too much.  I become frustrated, angry, irritable and even suicidal.  In fact, for me, the manic times have almost always been accompanied by suicidal feelings.  This is by far the most terrifying time in my battle with bipolar disorder.  I’m impulsive and agitated and moving quickly.  I’m self-destructive and suicidal and all control just seems to slip away from me.  Things lose meaning and sense.  I feel overpowered until I don’t even want to fight anymore because eventually I find myself totally exhausting.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

This takes so much courage to reveal and pour your innermost feelings and your honesty is exceptional. You are truly an exceptional woman, who has SO MUCH to offer everyone, and I truly admire your strength and courage. You keep fighting and surround yourself with friends/family who support you and this will help you to be strong and continue fighting and living life to the fullest. larry

Anonymous said...

Although I do not suffer from bipolar disorder I have a dear friend who does.

I recall how impulsive she was, never ending energy and working through the night without any sleep. This was before she admitted what her condition was. Almost all of the time I have know her, she would cycle from mania to deep depression and ultimately become suicidal. Medication did help her and she is now happily married.

Don't give up hope. Thanks for sharing these private parts of your reality.

Melba

Anonymous said...

To melba and rachel I am so very proud of both of you for revealing and talking to each other which also means that you are supporting each other and this is what this is all about, congradulations larry

Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel (and Larry):

I am going through a really rough time. I have to admit coping with a med change and new memories from my past has been difficult. I have been having suicidal thoughts and urges to SI. I have not cut in a long time and I am definitely not interested in following through on the suicidal thoughts.

What are some strategies that you have used?

My therapist is not able to see me for two more weeks and my PDOC is booked up until the mid December. I am afraid of running out of meds. I know that they keep things at bay and I am working on getting used to the new meds.

Don't worry I am not going hurt myself and I know my limitations and will contact medical help and 911 if I get desperate.

Sorry if this is too sensitive. I just feel that I can relate to some of the things and feelings you have shared on this blog.

Melba

Anonymous said...

Hey Rachel:

Haven't seen you on here for awhile. Hope everything is okay

Melba

Anonymous said...

Rachel, You MUST never giveup, PLEASE PLEASE,we shook on something,between us 2,and I WILL always be here and with you no matter what to get you thru anything and everything,I will NEVER leave your side,EVER!!Together, and with proper help,YOU CAN DO THIS OK!!YOU HAVE MANY MANY people with you by your side and are ALWAYS here for you. I will c you soon larry

Anonymous said...

hi Melba,

i'm not doing too well - i just fell really hard into a dark, out-of-control depression. i have been in hospital for nearly 2 weeks now. I will try and write a short blog this Friday from hospital.

how are you?

Anonymous said...

p.s. it's not too sensitive, in fact i'm in very similar situation (same feelings, self-harm, suicide) except i lost control this time.

Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel:

Sorry to hear that you have had a set back. If you are anything like me I tend to be so hard on myself and have too high expectations. So when times are really tough I beat myself over the head.

I am glad you are getting help and hope that you can take the time to take care of yourself. I will keep you in my thoughts.

Since I last posted, things are about the same. I did get the clinic to move my appointment with my PDOC up by two weeks. See her on the 25th. She is seeing me on her lunch hour and I have a 15 minute window. I can go to ER if I need to get new meds. Will be okay with the anti-depressant but will run out of the sleep aid, have been cutting it in half to help with sleep issues and to make it last longer.

I had therapy this week, had a really good session, have some homework to do. Going to the same therapist is good for me, I really trust her, she knows me even when I am avoiding things. She never pushes me, just constantly encourages me to feel that I can be in control of my choices/decisions.

Remember to take care of yourself and I am right here when you are ready.

Melba

Anonymous said...

I am so happy to hear you two communicating and supporting each other, thats what its all about,really good to read the encouragement you give each other. Humbling,larry