Friday, August 21, 2009

Rachel's Story - Emergency Last Fall

As September approaches I find myself looking back to last year at this time and I am very thankful to be where I am now. This year I am very fortunate to have a whole new set of skills as a result of the various groups I have participated in at the Royal Ottawa. I am better able to recognize my mood symptoms and catch myself before I fall into a deep depression or rise into mania. Admittedly, I was apprehensive about joining the groups because I am quite shy but I quickly got over that when I discovered that everyone there was like me, seeking to learn more about their illness. If you have the chance to participate in any of these groups, I highly recommend that you do. Now I’d like to share my story.

Last year at this time I couldn’t see myself falling. I was slowly losing interest in my friends and my formerly pursued activities. Getting out of bed everyday became a bigger and bigger challenge. My thinking and speech became slowed-down. I felt sad and tired much of the time. I had no interest in food. Living life seemed to require a BIGGER effort than I could muster. These symptoms started on a small scale (in September) and escalated until I was thinking of suicide or death every day (by October). I was relieving my anxiety with self-harm (cutting). I was collecting prescription drugs with the intention of over-dosing. Thankfully, my family stepped in and took me to the Civic’s emergency where I underwent a series of mini assessments with nurses and a psychiatrist. I was pretty out of it. All I knew was that I needed to end the pain somehow. I felt like I was being tormented and I couldn’t take it any longer. I was admitted on the eve of my 26th birthday. I remember that all I wanted to do was lie in the dark, but because I was under observation, they wouldn’t let me turn off the lights. It was bright and loud and I couldn’t wait to be transferred from psych emergency to somewhere less temporary. I was supposed to be moved up to the Civic’s psych ward, but fortunately I got the news that a bed was available at the Royal and that I would be transferred there later in the day. So the day after my birthday I was transferred by ambulance to the Royal Ottawa Mental Health Centre. I was a little nervous, as I’d never been hospitalized there before.

To be continued…

5 comments:

larry said...

CONGRADULATIONS on deciding to share your story with us all!By sharing your story it will help so many others.I also know this will inspire others, as well as to give them HOPE, which I know from experience is so very important. It is HOPE that allows those of us who are the 1 in 5 to continue to battle on and conquer our own personal demons and struggles that each of us face.

melba11 said...

Hi Rachel

Thank you for sharing.

It helps to remind ourselves where we have been to know where we are now.

In spite of my setbacks.. I am moving forward slowly but surely.

Melba

rachel said...

Hi Melba,

Glad to hear you're moving in the right direction!!

rachel

Patty Anne said...

I am glad I never went to the hospital Rachel. Having the lights on all night would not have been my favourite thing. But then it was all for the best.

It is really great when you start learning about your ups and downs and recognizing them. Eventually it will become automatic but in the mean time, it is such a learning experience. I think we are lucky to end up so observant of ourselves and our moods. Not many people are. It is work now but it will get easier.

Are you going back to school? Remember to go with your gut. If you feel like it great and if you don't great. There are some things that after so many years after retiring (10) I still do not want to do for any reason. My head just screams a loud "NO"

Anyway, keep on plugging away and you will get there in time.

Patty Anne

rachel said...

Hi Patty Anne,

thanks for your comments and advice.

i am not going back to school this semester. i am trying to get myself a little more stabilized first and figure out what it is that I want to do.

rachel