Thursday, August 7, 2008

Firefighters Story

My name is Larry and I've been a firefighter in Ottawa for approx 24yrs. I was diagnosed with recurring acute PTSD, post traumatic stress disorder and have been battling hard since 2003 to overcome this and other mental health issues that go along with PTSD. I want to share my story with others, to give them HOPE, and to let others know that they are not alone and it is possible to overcome. I also hope that as I tell my story, others will recognize similar characteristics that we all might share when stricken with mental healh issues. I also hope that this will encourage people to seek out help, as I did. It is possible to overcome, and although you might feel all alone in your battles, you are not alone. If I am able to help just one other by telling my story, it will all be worth it. We have to educate people and break down the walls of shame, stigmatisms and all that goes with having mental health issues. This is one of the biggest problems with mental health issues, people are not educated and understanding with regards to issues we might face, therefore people are scared and misinformed as soon as they hear the words "mental health issues." I say we , because I've been through it myself as I have said, and I am hopeful that as you read my story that you will notice and understand that, yes, there are others who face similar challenges and that you are not alone. I am sure that as I tell my story here, you will find similarities between what you might be facing, and what I have faced. I want to give you some hope and the courage to seek help and regain control of your life. You can do it, and I really want to inspire you to open up, not be scared, and you too can overcome, as I have.

I will continue writing my story shortly, a little at a time, and I hope it will help you who read it, and inspire you not to give up, but to know that there is help for you and you too may enjoy success and overcome.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Larry,

After watching your story on the video clip, I just wanted to talk about something that struck me. I think it is great that you were able to get past the whole "macho firefighter" expectation and seek help. You showed true strength through realizing that you needed help. No shame there!

Larry, by sharing your story, perhaps more people working in high-stress/dangerous jobs will be able to recognize when too much is too much, and seek help.

There are so many great men and women in uniform who risk their lives every day for our safety. We cannot take their mental health for granted.

-Shawn Thivierge

Anonymous said...

fag

Fran Watson said...

I see the last post was some time ago and I wonder how you are doing now? I hope all is well.

Fran

Anonymous said...

I am a 43 year old women and have PTS, bi-polor,and boarder line personality disorder for 30 years, I have found that once you have labels of mental health your creditability always is in question and it can be very challenging to be taken serious when triggered flashbacks are occouring, it can exasperate the whole crisis

Grace Joubarne said...

PTSD like all mental unwellness can be overcome. However it is vitally important to all sufferers that they read Medication Madness by Dr. Peter Breggin before they ever get started on psychiatric drugs and before they ever start to believe there is only one 'treatment' available. Dr. Breggin is the leading world expert on psychiatric drug and electroshock treatment, a psychiatrist himself and he says NEVER accept drug and electroshock treatment. Empathic therapies have a superior track record and no one ends up with tremors, tics, heart, kidney and liver problems or a label for life on a cocktail of unproven drugs. Many studies since 1970 have proven that psychiatric treatment of PTSD, Depression and Anxiety and all other mental discorders worsens the situation due to the brain-damaging effects of the drugs and electroshock. Many people all over North America have resolved their issues with a competent hypnotherapist who can get to the root cause of the issue, instead of suppressing the symptoms. See the Carole Baker testimonial at http://www.graceplacewellness dot com/testimonials.htm for some insight into how drugs and diagnoses can be hell, unhelpful, incorrect and regretable...and how she saved herself by seeking an alternative...hypnotherapy.