Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Seeking Treatment

There is so much that is misunderstood when it comes to mental illness. I have interviewed friends, family members, co-workers and strangers about mental illnesses. Not surprising, many people agree that it is still hidden behind a dark veil; that it's something to be whispered about and talked about in private.

I was 17 when I had my first bout of depression. I would only come to realize what it was at the age of 30, right after the birth of my daughter when I was diagnosed with postpartum depression. For 13 solid years I battled depression, anxiety, bulimia and obsessive compulsive disorder and was too ashamed and scared to to seek treatment. I truly thought "it" would go away. The thought of being hospitalized for depression scared me so much that I vowed not to say a thing. All I could think about was mind-numbing medication and straight jackets. This is what society would have you believe. The reality is something quite different. Seeking treatment can save your life. It did for me.

Mental illness is a serious medical condition - just like diabetes and heart disease. Why are we so afraid of it? Why are people still so judgemental? We are on a mission of a lifetime to banish the stigma once and for all through the "You know Who I Am" campaign. Are you on board?

Heather Hennigar

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your story. The more people who speak out about their experiences the better. As an advocate for women with postpartum depression, I know the kind of harm silence can do.

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather:
I wish I had your courage but my experience is that people including friends, relatives and employers still treat you different if you disclose what your problems are. Getting treatment is one thing but getting people to not stigmatize is still a problem.

I guess that is what you and Daniel and youknowwhoyouare campaign is all about.
Keep up the good work.
you help us all.

Anonymous said...

I have had bipolar disorder since my early 20s (I'm in my thirties) and I'm very careful with it. I find the stigma to be incredible and its just easier to only talk about it with friends and family and keep it a secret.

When you have a serious mental illness there is enough stress and you can be medication for life. Added stress thru stigma just kicks people when they are down already.

Its really great that this campaign exists and that they have a great spokesperson (Daniel).

Hopefully years from now mental illness won't be something that you have to hide from the outside world.

Anonymous said...

Yes, at the end of the day - many people treat us different. However, I have learned that as long as I am happy - that's the most important thing. Believe me - I used to care what everyone thought about me. Not anymore! I know, it sounds easier said than done. It did take me several years to learn this - but it has changed my life in more ways than you can imagine.

Heather

Anonymous said...

I don't really care what people think of me so much its more the practical aspects of it - like losing a job opportunity because of it or something like that.

It also seems bipolar has an extremely bad rep. People use it as an insult or joke "did you forget to take your meds" or "you're acting bipolar".

Personally I'm not really hurt by this I'm used to it. I'm different from other people in that I have an illness which is not well understood by people so there are certain attitudes surrounding it.

I keep it private which is to me a very mild inconvience. From the perspective of someone who has the disease its not that bad if you take your medications and try to live clean.